CENZURA PLUS is a non-profit, civil society organization from Split, Croatia, that promotes human rights, media freedoms and works on the development of civil society, through methods of independent media (TV) production, out-institutional education and public advocacy, with the aim of building modern, democratic and fair society in Croatia.
Cenzura Plus was established in 2003., by a group of human-rights activists and it arise from history and experience of producing the first independent TV show that explored limitation of media freedoms in post-war Croatia, since mid 1990es. Since then Cenzura Plus remains unique and recognized in Croatia and in the Region of Western Balkans for its non-profit TV production, of one 1-hour long TV show weekly, that deals with broader range of human rights issues, democratization and civil society status in Croatia. In previous 5 years it has developed numerous activities and today is one of the leading civil society organizations in its lines of work in the south part of the country. It is located in Split, second town by its size in Croatia, on the Adriatic coast.
1. Improvement of Media Freedoms, Media Responsibility and status of Non-profit Media;
2. Improvement of Human Rights and Women Rights status, Combating Discrimination and Increasing the Inter-cultural Dialogue;
3. Encouraging active citizenship, increasing of Citizens Participation in decision making and Transparency of all levels of Governments, as well as supporting of the Anti-corruption activities;
4. Improvement of Civil Society status and Civil Dialogue;
5. Development of Social Entrepreneurship and new models of Economic Empowerment of Women.
1. Weekly non-profit television production on themes relevant for civil society and democratization, 1-hour long TV shows broadcast on regional televisions in Croatia, each Friday at 21 hrs and weekly 15-minutes long radio shows broadcast on regional radio station in Dalmatia, each Thursday at 18:45 hrs (including serials such is European informing – EU INFO).
2. Antidiscrimination campaign – combating discrimination based on the gender (in particular), sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion and other grounds with high incidence of discrimination cases in Croatia.
3. Educational programme of increasing the citizens’ participation in decisions making and level of transparency of local and regional governments in Croatia with the aim of combating the corruption.
4. Programme of economic empowerment of women through organizing crafts production in social cooperative on war affected and rural areas of Croatia, social marketing and sales.
5. Advocacy programme for improvement of status of media and in particular non-profit media in Croatia.
Cenzura Plus is member of the network for empowerment of civil society in the Balkans - Balkan Civil Society Development Network (BCSDN), member of the European feminist network for gender equality and social justice, Women in Development Europe (WIDE) and member of Brussels based international organization for improvement of European citizenship rights - European Citizen Action Service (ECAS).
Cenzura Plus is one of the founders and member of the network for improving the status of non-profit media in Croatia, also one of the founders and member of Lika Womens` Social Cooperative, Ombudsman’s` Contact point for South Croatia and it is active in numerous partnerships.
Cenzura Plus is financed through calls for proposals from different domestic and international donors’ organization that support democratization efforts of civil society. Biggest Cenzura Plus’ donor is European Union and, among domestic funds, significant is National Foundation for Civil Society Development in Croatia.
Statue of the Cenzura Plus you can download here.